This year my goal is to read 10 new non-fiction books. I want to learn as much as I can, and reading is the perfect way to do it (besides YouTube!). I’m going to be giving away each book I read to share my growth and knowledge with all of you! So check the end of this post to see how you can win a copy of #GIRLBOSS!
👏LIFE CHANGING FACTOR: 7/10 😍 WORTH THE TIME: 10/10 💞 BEST QUALITIES: funny, easy to read, very practical advice
Where to buy? Kindle version available here or get hard copy from Amazon here or eBay for Australian users here
In 8 years Sophia Amoruso went from unemployed, dumpster diving, shoplifter to a millionaire businesswoman and CEO of Nasty Gal. Obviously there was a lot of hard work involved in those 8 years, but if that doesn’t spark those “if she can do it, I can do it” feels in you, I don’t know what will. In this easy to read and humourously written book, this self confessed bad ass reveals many of her secrets for business, leadership, and life.
#GIRLBOSS is basically for everyone. If you’re an aspiring business person, don’t take another step without reading this book. If you have a job you like and want to progress in it, this will help you win employee of the decade. If you are writing resumes or going on job interviews, this book reveals what employers are REALLY looking for. And if getting your adult on and finding a real ‘grown-up’ job is the last thing on your to-do list, this book will be your best friend.
I think all of us fit into one of those categories…. and If you’re a guy, every time the word “GIRLBOSS” comes up just replace it with “DUDEBOSS” and you’ll love it too!
“A #GIRLBOSS is someone who’s in charge of her own life. She gets what she wants because she works for it. As a #GIRLBOSS you take controll and accept responsibility… You’re going to take over the world and change it in the process. You’re a badass”
I loved this book because Sophia writes almost as if she were your really cool big sister. Siblings don’t sugar coat things. She calls you out on any bad attitudes or not-so-smart habbits you may have in a way that challenges you and makes you want to be a better person, employee, leader or business person. But you can’t be mad at her for shining the light on your weaknesses because she is very clear that she too has/had those same shortcomings. I’d rather learn from her mistakes than my own.
As well as giving you the younger sibling treatment, she also she also gives some of the most practical and valuable business advice. If you’ve ever wondered what employers are looking for when they are reading your resume or interviewing you, or how you should or should dress or talk for success… she reveals it all!
Here are 4 life changing ideas I took away from the book:
- Mindset = everything – Well, ok, not everything.. but it’s more crucial in success than we give it credit for. You don’t want negative thoughts to hold you back from sucess. When it comes to negative people or situations that influence you to obsess over the negative side of life, Sophia says “you have to kick people out of your head as forcefully as you’s kick someone out of your house if you didn’t want them to be there”.
- Lack of resources is GOOD- If you have an idea/goal/dream, don’t write it off just because you don’t have the resources. Lack of resources is a sign that it’s a good dream and that you are stepping outside your comfort zone! If you’re passionate enough about it and are willing to work hard enough, you will find a way to get the resources you need!
- Budgeting can be fun – Don’t click away from this article! I know this subtitle doesn’t sound fun, but after reading her chapter on how she built Nasty Gal without borrowing ANY money and without ANY debt (this is practically unheard of) I was so excited about my own personal budget and spent hours re-writing it. Being debt-free is sexy.
- Business is all about the customer – Sophia credits a lot of her success to the fact that she knew her customers, listened to what they wanted from Nasty Gal and took the extra time to create her business around them.
To win a copy of #GIRLBOSS:
- Leave a comment on this post explaining why you would love to read this book and promising to pass it on to a friend who would love it too.
- Make sure you are following Made Whole on Instagram (@madewholeco) and Facebook.
Entries close on the 20th March 2016 and the winner will be announced shortly after on Instagram.
CLICK TO SHOP FOR INGREDIENTS:
(Use Made Whole coupon code “JWV697” on iHerb.com for $5 off your order!)