This oatmeal is just PERFECT.
Oatmeal can traditionally be thought of as boring. NOT THIS ONE! This oatmeal is creamy and full of purple bursting blueberries. It’s super nourishing and gives you lots of energy. The date and nut crumble on top give it so much natural sweetness and nutty crunchiness… and with a huge spoon full on peanut butter on top you will be in food HEAVEN!
This is the perfect breakfast-for-dessert type of dish, or even perfect of breakfast on days when you want it to be a little bit extra special. It’s full of protein from the oats and nuts and had NO bad fats, nothing artificial and is super nourishing for your body. Make it! You can thank me later! (I’d actually LOVE to see you pictures if you do! tag me in them on instagram @madewholeco)
Blueberry Pie Oatmeal with Date Crumble
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water (or more if you need it)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (or 1/2 a mashed banana for sweetness if you prefer to leave out the coconut sugar)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- handful of frozen blueberries
For date crumble:
- 1/4 cup dates
- 1/4 cup mixed nuts (or just 1 type of nut you have on hand. this will work with basically any nuts
- 1 tbsp buckwheat
- 1 tsp cinnamon
(this will make enough for more than 1 bowl of oatmeal. you can use the extra for another bowl of oatmeal OR top on smoothie bowls)
- Place oats, coconut milk, water, vanilla powder and coconut sugar (or mashed banana if you choose) in a small saucepan on the stove and cook over medium heat. Cook for 5-8 minutes (or until oats are ALMOST cooked), stirring every few minutes
- Once oatmeal starts to ‘bubble’ turn down to low, add blueberries and cook for an extra few minutes until blueberries have thawed and gone soft. Don’t stir too much at this point or the blueberry juices will turn the whole thing purple (unless that’s what you want!)
Note: for a quicker alternative on days when you have less time, combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 3-4 minutes!
- Remove from stove as soon as blueberries have thawed and spoon into a serving bowl
- To make date and nut crumble (you can do this while oats are cooking on the stove) place dates, buckwheat, mixed nuts and cinnamon in a Nutribullet and pulse for just 2 seconds. Do this 3-4 times until the mixture is crumbly. If you pulse for too long the mixture will stick together like a dough instead of being crumbly.
- Spoon your crumble on top of your oatmeal and top with fresh berries and lots of peanut butter!
Original recipe by Made Whole co.
CLICK TO SHOP FOR INGREDIENTS:
(Use Made Whole coupon code “JWV697” on iHerb.com for $5 off your order!)
I couldn’t live without this baby! Get one here