I made these pies for a Christmas party this year and they were a HUGE HIT! This is the kind of dessert that no one would know was healthy. My friends were particularly surprised when i told them the secret ingredient in the mousse…
My other secret ingredient is something I’ve been absolutely OBSESSED with recently and is sooooooo worth the money because it makes everything taste 100000x better! It’s the Loving Earth vanilla bean powder. It’s so strong so you only need to use a little bit, so the jar will last a long time. just a pinch makes any smoothie, cookie or dessert taste like absolute heaven!
Do yourself a favor. MAKE THESE. Share them! You’ll thank me later! It can be my Christmas present to you (;
Now, I used coconut sugar in this recipe, which is far higher in mineral content than conventional sugar, not to mention low GI. But if you’d prefer to omit the sugar, I recomend adding more medjool dates to the recipe to sweeten it!!
Chocolate mousse pies (MAKES 6 PIES)
- 2 cups dried dates
- ½ cup Coconut Magic Coconut flakes
- 1 cup Hazelnuts (any other nut would work too)
Choc avocado mousse ingredients:
- 1 big ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup Cacao powder (I used Loving Earth cacao powder. This one is pretty reliable, affordable and good quality)
- ¼ cup Coconut Magic Coconut sugar
- 2 fresh medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp Loving Earth vanilla bean powder
- Cupcake pan
- Food processor or Nutribullet
To make crust:
- Make sure your dates have been pitted and add them to a food processor or Nutribullet with your coconut flakes and hazelnuts
- Process until combined into a dough
- Place about a tbsp of dough (depending on the size of your cupcake tray) into a cupcake mold in a cupcake tray and push on it so that it spreads around the whole shape of the cupcake mold to form the shape of your pie crust. Make sure it’s not too thin, as it needs to hold its shape.
- Place the cupcake tray in the freezer for about 1-2 minutes. this is all it needs to firm up enough to de-mold them! It’s like magic!
- Remove the tray from the freezer and run a knife around the edge where the crust dough meets the tray. Use your knife to lift the crust out of the mold. This might be a bit difficult as the dough is a bit sticky but it will work!
- Refrigerate the pie crusts until you’re ready to fill them.
To make choc avocado mousse:
- Add your avocado, cacao powder, dates and coconut sugar to a blender of Nutribullet
- Blend very well until ALL lumps are gone and it becomes a very smooth, fluffy mousse. You might want to mash the avocado before blending if you think this might help it blend better.
- Spoon your avocado mousse mixture into your pie shells. Be generous and fill them to the top!
- I chose to top with Coconut Magic Coconut flakes and some strawberries… But you can top them with WHATEVER you like! Be creative!
- Place them in the fridge to let the mousse firm up before serving
TIP: Keep the pies in the fridge, but let them sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving as this will make sure the pie crust is the perfect consistency and not too chewy to eat!
Original recipe by Made Whole co
CLICK TO SHOP FOR INGREDIENTS:
(Use Made Whole coupon code “JWV697” on iHerb.com for $5 off your order!)