Nothing makes it feel more like Christmas than throwing on some Carols and a festive apron and baking some cute little cookies to eat with the ridiculous amount of festive drinks you’ve been having! These gingerbread men are the perfect accompaniment to all your Christmas hot chocolates … and heck, I even crumbled one up and sprinkled it on some banana icecream!
Now, I used coconut sugar in this recipe, which is far higher in mineral content than conventional sugar, not to mention low GI. But if you’d prefer to omit the sugar, I recomend adding more medjool dates to the recipe to sweeten it!!
Gingerbread men (Makes 15 small cookies)
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour (and extra for dusting)
- 1/2 cup Buckwheat flour (alternatively, you can use another additional ½ cup of oat flour)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 a vanilla bean or a 1/2 tsp Loving Earth vanilla bean powder
- 3 pitted fresh medjool dates
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Coconut Magic Coconut sugar (or more if you like it sweeter)
- Gingerbread man cookie cutter
- 2 tbsp cacao or carob powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tsp of pb2 or nut butter(optional)
To make cookies:
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a bowl. I used a Nutribullet. to make my own oat flour, buckwheat flour, and to grind my flax seeds to a powder. But you can buy these things already in flour form. Look online at @iherbinc for some (use the coupon code JWV697 at checkout for 10% off!).
- Blend together your medjool dates and coconut milk in a nutribullet or blender until smooth
- Add your date and coconut milk mixture to your mixing bowl along with your vanilla bean and coconut sugar
- Mix the ingredients to combine them well. You may need to mix with your hands too!
- Sprinkle a little more oat flour on your workspace and roll out your dough flat using a rolling pin
- Cut out your gingerbread shapes using a gingerbread man cookie cutter
- Lay your gingerbread men on a lined baking tray
- Bake in a 180 degree oven for 10-15 minutes (they smell AMAZING as they cook!)
To make icing:
- Combine carob or cacao powder, coconut sugar, coconut milk and the optional addition of your favorite nut butter in a small dish and stir well until all the lumps are gone. An alternative icing recipe would be to comine cacao powder with some rice malt syrup, maple syrup or honey
- Use a piping bag or pointed object such as a skewer to create eyes, smiles and buttons on your gingerbread men.
- EAT YOUR CUTE LITTLE HOLIDAY TREATS WITH YOUR FAVORITE HOT DRINK!
Original recipe by Made Whole co