This is a super super fast, 3 ingredient flat bread recipe!
It’s for those times when you want a healthy sandwich, burger or smashed avo on toast (#smashedavoforlife) and want a nutritious bread alternative to sandwich some heavenly deliciousness between! The main ingredient is buckwheat, which is gluten free (despite how its name makes it sound).
Buckwheat is actually a seed! It is high in protein and contains all essential amino acids (the amino acids our bodies do not make themselves, which we need to get from food). That makes this a very awesome sandwich!
In these photos I have used my flat bread to made a sandwich with hummus, baby spinach, tomato and avocado, but you can create a healthy burger with a veggie patty, sweet potato and some salad, or even leave each slice separate and top it with some smashed avo, lemon and chilli flakes (pictured).
Gluten free turmeric and buckwheat flat bread
Ingredients (makes 4 medium sized pieces of flat bread)
- 2/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder or some fresh grated turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds)
- Spoon of oats
- Extra flax seeds or even linseeds
- Dried herbs
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 360 Fahrenheit
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until fully combined and there is no lumps (sometimes I make my own buckwheat flour by blending buckwheat in a Nutribullet)
- Spoon the mixture onto a lined baking tray, spreading the dough into the size and shape that you want using the back of a spoon. I made circles a little bit bigger than the size of my palm and used about 2 tbsp of the dough for each circle. You could make smaller ones or even 2 really large ones.
- Sprinkle each piece of uncooked flat bread with a combo of flax seeds, gluten free oats and even some dried herbs of your choice (this is optional)
- Place the tray with the dough in the oven for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven when bread stars to form a few good cracks in the top. Let cool for 5 minutes and then peel away the baking paper from the bread. Do this carefully.
- ENJOY! Top with banana and peanut butter or smashed avocado OR make a sandwich with your favorite salad or baked veggies!
Original recipe by Made Whole co.
CLICK TO SHOP FOR INGREDIENTS:
(Use Made Whole coupon code “JWV697” on iHerb.com for $5 off your order!)