Vegan food isn’t all lettuce and carrots. It can be hearty and satisfying too!
If you’re really hungry and want something to sink your teeth into, try these delicious spice rubbed eggplant “steaks”. They won’t disappoint. And they are perfect with a side of sweet potato mash and asparagus – such a healthy, hearty meal!
SPICE RUBBED EGGPLANT MEDALLIONS/STEAKS
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 tbsp tahini paste (sesame seed butter)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2/3 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ceyanne pepper
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- a handful of crushed nuts, eg: almonds, macadamias, pine nuts (you can crush them but placing them in a zip lock bag and hitting them with something hard like the bottom of a glass bottle. alternatively you can do it by pulsing them in a Nutribullet )
- Cut a large eggplant in cross sections and place in a bowl
- Create your spice rub by mixing together with a spoon: 1tbsp of tahini paste, 1 tsp paprika, 2/3 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp cracked black pepper, 2 tsp mixed dried herbs and a handful of crushed nuts
- Spoon your spice rub onto the eggplant medallions and rub or spread it over the whole surface. Use your hands of a knife to rub it so it’s as evenly distributed as possible
- Lay your spice rubbed eggplant medallions on a lined baking tray
- Bake for 20 minutes on a 180 degrees C (350 F) oven. Flip them over and bake on he other side until that side has crisped up a bit
- Test to make sure it’s cooked to perfection before taking them out and enjoying!
- Serve a bed of quinoa with a side of sweet potato mash! Yum!!!
MUSHROOM GRAVY RECIPE:
- 10 mushrooms
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp PB2 peanut powder
- Cut approx. 10 mushrooms in cross sections and sauté them in a pan with a bit of water and 1 tsp of garlic powder. Stir regularly and add a bit of water if the mushrooms stick to the pan. The mushrooms will release heir own juices which will be the base for the gravy. If the pan gets too dry, add a little more water. There should always be juice in the pan.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked they should be surrounded by their own juices. Add 1 heaped tsp of PB2 peanut butter powder to the pot to thicken it into a gravy. It works really nicely and the consistency is perfect. Alternatively, you can add a tsp on any other nut butter