So, I am totally all about Valentines day.
Yeah yeah, I can hear you saying “it’s a huge waste of money… blah blah blah… you should celebrate love every day of the year… blah blah blah”. I agree. But I just love ANY kind of holiday. Life can get so familiar sometimes that I think it’s super important to shake up boring routines with a bit of holiday FUN! And you don’t have to buy into the overpriced chocolate and roses and get your bae a Costco teddy bear the size of the universe itself to celebrate Valentines day.
Use Valentine’s day as an excuse to eat good food and have lunch parties at work or a nice dinner with friends!
When I think of what I want to eat on valentines day, it’s chocolate. duh. But I also want something I can share with friends to spread the holiday joy. That’s why I came up with these truffles. They are rose and vanilla on the inside with a super easy chocolate icing. And the fun love notes on them make them a fun way to tell someone you love them… or force the Valentine’s grinch in your life to smile!
Of course this recipe is gluten and dairy free. It’s also sugar free and sweetened naturally with dates! (But DUDE they are so flipping delicious!) So you can eat them and share them and know you are spreading health as well as LOOOOVVEEEE <3
DIY LOVE NOTES FROM POST-ITS
YOU WILL NEED:
- Thin, fun coloured post-its
- A nice marker or pen
- Fold a thin post-it in half so that the sticky part sticks the 2 ends together and you have a loop at the non-sticky end (pictured right)
- Write a sweet love note on the post-it with a cute marker or ink pen
- Thread a cake pop stick or even a toothpick through the loop you made at the end of the love note. When you have made your Rose and Vanilla Truffles you can stick the cake pop stick into the top of the truffle so that the love note sticks out of it like a cute little flag of love!
ROSE AND VANILLA TRUFFLES W/ CACAO ICING
- Tiny cup cake wrappers
- Cake pop sticks cut in half
- A Nutribullet
- Mixing bowls and spoon
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup dried dates (about 30 dried dates)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder (I used Loving Earth vanilla powder. super affordable and really strong!)
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 tbsp rose water (or more to taste
- OPTIONAL: the dates make this recipe sweet, but if you’re a real sweet tooth and feel like you need it, you can add some coconut sugar
- TO DECORATE: cacao nibs, coconut flakes or desicated coconut
EASIEST CACAO ICING INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (or thick coconut milk)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
TO MAKE TRUFFLES:
- First make your cacao icing by placing all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat on the stove. Heat and stir vigorously until all ingredients are combined and there are no lumps. Remove from heat and place in fridge while you make truffles. (For a quicker alternative, combine ingredients in microwave safe cup, stir vigorously and then heat for 10 seconds, stir again when it comes out and place in fridge).
- Combine macadamia nuts, cashews and dried dates in a Nutribullet or food processor and process until combined into a sticky dough (it doesn’t have to be super smooth)
- Place your nut and date mixture in a mixing bowl and add coconut flour, vanilla bean powder, coconut milk, rose water and sweetener if you choose to sweeten it
- Knead the mixture with your hands until everything is combined
- Roll mixture into balls
- Remove icing from fridge and stir again to make sure there are no lumps. Dip each ball in your cacao icing. You might want to use a spoon to help you cover each ball with icing completely. When coated, place on a plate or into a cute tiny cupcake wrapper (pictured on right). Place a cake pop stick with love note into the top
- Sprinkle each ball with cacao nibs and coconut flakes OR whatever else you choose to top them with.
- Place truffles in fridge to harden up. The icing is pretty soft at this point but it will harden up after a few hours of being in the fridge. Put them in the freezer if you want to accelerate this process
- Remove from fridge/freezer and share with the ones your love! YUM!
Original recipe by Made Whole co.
CLICK TO SHOP FOR INGREDIENTS:
(Use Made Whole coupon code “JWV697” on iHerb.com for $5 off your order!)